Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, June 5, 2010

i dance . . . well, someday

My friends and siblings have always made fun of me for my lack of rhythm.  Lack of rhythm is a kind way to put it.  Simply said, I can't dance.  I think that my reasons for not being able to dance are the same reasons that I can't speak spanish very well.  I'm not good at letting go and trying something that I know that I am not that talented at...
Simply put, I'm a slight control freak when it comes to myself.  I don't want to look or sound stupid, so I just try not to put myself in situations that have the chance of making me appear stupid.  Thus, no dancing or speaking spanish to anyone over the age of 5.
One of my goals this year was to learn to speak spanish to those over 5.  I took 3 years of spanish in Highschool and 3 years in colllege.  My head is full of vocabulary.  I can work my way through a spanish magazine or follow along while watching spanish TV.  I can carry on a pretty good conversation with a little one.  But, once you turn 6 - no more speaking spanish to you!
I work for a Spanish company and reside in Texas.  Those two points alone should be enough.   I'm working on it -  But, it's a s-l-o-w process.
I had no thought or intention of even touching the dancing situation, but then, thanks to Maggie, over at Gussy Sews, I found this website - i dance.  (I was looking at Gussy's adorable clutches, you should go look at them too!  They will bring a smile to your face.  But, my Gussy obsession is a whole different post.)
The i dance blog is a fun blog to look at - lots of bright colors and adorable fonts.  But, what got me was the description of their "revolution"- it hit home.  I too, want more conifdence, joy, and freedom -  as I read it, I realized that these things would help me at home, at work, with my husband, my little one and with speaking spanish!  I was sold.
So, I'm going to try it.  I tried lesson 1 this morning and ended up laughing my head off.  I seriously have no rhythm.
None.  Zilch.  Nada.
One thing I do have is perseverance.  So, I will try lesson 1 again tonight and then tomorrow and will keep it up.  I will learn.
I'm hoping that my sisters will join me - they are much more talented in the rhythm department, so maybe some of their rhythm will rub off, or at least my 2 left feel will make them laugh.
We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment