Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, January 15, 2010

a semi-mobile, food eating machine...

I returned home from a long week of traveling to a semi-mobile, food eating machine.

where did my baby go?

I know he is still here, but he is different.  All of a sudden, he loves foods.  Avocados, Kidney beans, Asparagus, Sweet potatoes, Prunes, Mango, Papaya.
You get the point.
Also, when I left earlier this week, he was strictly "low-crawling" - today I sit here on the floor and watch him lift to his knees and actually crawl.  He grins from cheek to cheek as he crawls towards me, so excited that he is doing something new.  He has figured out how to chase the dogs and as they run past him, he laughs out loud.  It is hysterical.  It is funny.  It is slightly sad.

He is growing up.

I knew it would happen.  I actually wanted it to happen.
I was never fond of babies.
I loved the idea of having kids, but totally planned on adopting them around the ripe ol' age of 2.
I did not have a need for a baby.  I mean seriously - I'm the oldest of 9 kids.  I've had my share of babies - dirty diapers, crying, too little to play and interact - where is the fun in that?  I had better things to do with my life than play with babies.

Thankfully, I have a God who is not as worried with my comfort level or my wants, but is more concerned with my character.  He is concerned with me becoming who He wants me to be.

So, against all our humanly efforts - I ended up pregnant!  Even while I was pregnant, I was excited for this baby to grow up, move around, interact, hit his 2nd birthday.

Then, he was born.

My mom and sisters laugh.  I instantly became that person I swore I'd never be. I gushed about cute baby clothes.  I played for hours with my tiny little baby.  Took zillons of pictures of my sleeping babe.  Talked in a semi-syrupy voice to a tiny kiddo who couldn't talk back.  Loved on, hugged and gushed on and on about my 5 pound cutie.



They knew it would happen.  I disagreed.

They were right.

Now, I spend my days being grateful for this little boy.  



Being grateful for his pouty bottom lip (166)
 for his little hands and feet  (167/168)
and for how much he loves all of his Aunties and Uncles(169)

Grateful for his loving glances(170)...


Being consciously grateful for the time I have with him right now, while he is little, while he is a baby (171).  Being grateful for the person I am becoming because of this baby. (172)

Every day, he is a little bit more grown up, a little bit less of a baby.  I want to spend my days loving on him.  Cherishing the time that God has given me...



Right now, I hear him waking up from a nap, so I am off to go play with him...while I still can.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment