Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, March 15, 2010

Not Me Monday...


Welcome to Not Me! Monday! This blog carnival was created by MckMama. You can head over to her blog to read what she and everyone else have not been doing this week.

Two weeks ago, I was in New York and New Jersey for work.  I’ve been there many times before, but this was my first time to have a rental car instead of using public transportation. 
But, I have a great sense of direction, so I wasn’t worried about driving in New York. 

Nope. Not me.

I arrived at Laguardia around 9pm.  I picked up my luggage and headed off to the rental car counter. No worries involved. Just another day at work.  I picked up my car, asked the guy how to get to the highway, got in my car and left.
Once I started driving, I realized that things were a little different in New York.  The streets were a little bit less lighted and quite narrow.  But, I wasn’t the least bit concerned.  
Nope. Not me.
As I continued driving, I recognized some names that I’ve heard in TV shows.  Namely, such shows as Law and Order SVU and Criminal Intent.  When I was on 4 months of bed-rest, I watched a lot of TV.  Although, I admittedly watched a lot of TV, I had it under control. I did not obsessively watch theses TV shows, knowing that my poor little mind was going to remember these awful stories. 
Nope. Not me. I know better.
I absolutely did not allow my mind to wander back to those shows as I was driving through New York.  I was not worried about my safety or if I was in a “bad’ part of town.  I did not contemplate what would happen if my new rental car died and I was stranded in the middle of the Bronx. 
Nope.  Not me.
I am an educated adult who realizes that there are "good" and “bad” parts to any town.  I understand that I should always be aware of my surroundings, but not be paranoid. 
I did not allow my imagination to get the best of me.  I did not question if there was someone lurking in the parking garage, stairwell and closet of my hotel room.  
Nope.  Not me.
Instead, I spent this time, contemplating the fact that I might have watched too much television while on bed-rest.  Not because I was slightly frightened, but because while driving, I had time to reflect on my life and the quantity of TV watching I did while on bed-rest.  I told myself that I really shouldn’t watch so much TV and that I really shouldn’t watch any more Law and Order.  (Again, not because I was scarred, but because I know I shouldn’t watch such violence.) 
So, when I got to my hotel, safely made it inside and checked all of the nooks and crannies of my hotel room, I absolutely did not turn on the TV to find it playing Law and Order.  And, if I had found that show playing, I definitely did not plop down on the bed and continue to watch.
Nope.  Not me.

Like I said, I know better.


No comments:

Post a Comment