Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sumer Fun and Family . . .

About a month ago, we took the little one to the Frio River.  Most of my family was able to come and we descended upon the unsuspecting rental home...It was great!

We went tubing, we played in the pool, we ate tons of food and while the little one slept, we stayed up late talking and reminiscing together.  It was good for my soul.  It was also good for my health, since it involved lots of gut-wrenching laughter. Laughter that I’m not sure would have been possible if we had not been raised the way that we were raised...

I love my family.  I love my siblings.  Growing up, there were times that I would have given them away to the first person that wanted to kidnap them, but thankfully, my parents wouldn’t let me.  Deep down, I also knew that they would be so exasperating that any kidnapper would rapidly return to our home to give them back.

Back in May, my sister posted some of her thoughts about out parents to her blog in honor of their anniversary:

“Thank you for struggling.  Thank you for showing us that marriage is not effortless or without drama.  I used to think that if couples didn’t disagree, that meant they loved each other more...now I know it just means they were on the second marriage or living a lie.  Thank you for teaching us to be creative, loving, patient and devoted.  Thank you for setting an example.”

There hasn’t been a week since she posted those words that they don’t pop into my mind.  I think that not only did out parents teach us and set an example for marriage, but also for family dynamics as well.  They taught us that you can fight and get mad and then- apologize, heal and “go outside to play”... (Those were some of my parents favorite words to us when we weren’t getting along - it’s amazing how playing outside in God’s creation can take away most irritation.)

I always thought that it was normal to deal with “who people are”...to accept them for who God made them to be... but then, I grew up.  I quickly realized that this isn’t how most of our society functions.  Instead, this way of thinking was truly a gift from our parents.  They raised us to not be critical of others - of their thoughts, their actions, their feelings, their choices...but to realize that God made them how He made them for a reason.  That God put them where He put them for a reason.  That the choices they make, are just that - their choices.  That God didn’t put us in charge of their life for a reason.

Oh, how I wish others could learn to think this way.  To heed the recommendation given to us from Jesus in Matthew 7...to deal with the log in our own eye, before dealing with the speck in others’ eyes.  How much easier and less stressful my life would be if others would not cast their criticism my way.  If they would realize that my husband and I are doing what we feel we are called to do...for right now.  It makes me sad to see how a critical spirit can infect so many people. 

But, that sadness brings me to my knees, to His feet.  I pray that I do not allow a critical spirit to infect me...that I will raise my children to feel loved and cherished and accepted...no matter what.  That they will know that I might not always be happy with their decisions, but that I will ALWAYS be here...loving them and accepting them.  I pray that I do not allow other’s critical spirits to hurt me.  That I will continue to remember that HE is in charge and that I don’t know what others are going through.  That all I can do it be in charge of me, and strive to raise a happy, healthy, patient, loyal, creative and devoted family.

Thankful for these things that bring me closer to Him...
Thankful for loving parents, siblings and friends - who love and accept me even when they totally don’t understand me....

No comments:

Post a Comment